Maurice J. Kerrigan & Associates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Keywords

Latest topics
» Limited time offer on purchase of tech equip ... offer ends 16 March
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 am by Admin

» The 2015 Insurance Fraud Hall of Fame
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 2:25 am by Admin

» Keyless entry opens commercial vehicle doors to thieves
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 4:16 am by Admin

» Locate subjects tools and techniques
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 7:10 am by Admin

» It just takes one bad apple
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 7:00 am by Admin

» Know when you're being lied to
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 2:46 am by Admin

» Become the human lie detector
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 2:46 am by Admin

» The online investigation and the fatal errors NOT to make
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 am by Admin

» 21 dumbest criminals of the 21st century (so far)
Cyber Investigations I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 2:09 am by Admin

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Cyber Investigations

Go down

Cyber Investigations Empty Cyber Investigations

Post by Admin Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:55 am

In this new era of cyber investigations, there are many pitfalls to avoid while conducting online investigations. Spending the time up front to understand some of the biggest mistakes cyber investigators have made over the years, will save you from making the same mistakes.

Not correctly identifying your person of interest: One of the single biggest mistakes online investigators have made in the past is not correctly identifying their person of interest.

Best practice is to ensure the person you identify is in fact, the person of interest, you are looking to gather intelligence on. Check gender, race, location, religion, friends, family, car, pictures, etc. to what you know about the subject through additional OSINT.

Not running a background check on the person: The second biggest mistake online investigators have made in the past is not running comprehensive background checks on their person of interest.
Best practice is to utilize services like TLO, Accurint, Lexus Nexus and others. This will help you to identify family, acquaintances, addresses, schools, jobs, cars, and more.

Not recording the criminal information you identified online at the time of discovery: Another one of the biggest mistakes online investigators have made in the past is not using screen recording software to record their investigative activities. This has haunted many investigators over the years that have either identified valuable information that was later removed, or second not knowing the information was valuable at the time and was later removed.

Best practice is to utilize screen recording software like camtasia studio to produce good quality investigative recordings and digital evidence.

Not spending time identifying additional accounts, profiles, etc. on multiple websites. Last but not least, I think one of the biggest mistakes that are often made by online investigators is not seeing the case to completion or identifying additional accounts across the internet. This means that often times it's easy for an investigator to find an eBay seller with stolen goods, but where they fail is to identify any potential other accounts that fraudster has like additional ecommerce accounts (in their name, a friends name, families name), or Facebook accounts, Craigslist accounts and so on. They often get so excited about finding the main account they fail to find additional sources of criminal activity or intelligence.

Best practice is to use google advance searches to identify additional accounts utilizing the site: search function like this for a simple phone number search to identify additional accounts.
• 07-255-4525 Site:facebook.com
• 02-255-4525 Site:craigslist.org
• 03-255-4525 Site:ebay.com.au
Or if you use variations of a sellers ID it might look like this:
• Joesshack site:ebay.com.au
• Joesshack site:craigslist.org
• Joesshack site:ubid.com

Utilising some of these simple investigative techniques will save you from years of frustration. It will help to identify the totality of the impact to your organization, client or citizens, and help you to correctly, efficiently and effectively gather the appropriate intelligence you need at a time when you need it the most.

Admin
Admin

https://investigation.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down